LAYER 02: INTERFOREST

BEWARE THE MATERIALITY OF 

LIGHT 

THE FLASHING OF HEAVEN 

WILL SCRATCH BEHIND YOUR EYES 

PROCEED WITH CAUTION 

especially if you're sensitive to flashing lights


forest_fire, gave
As i wandered the interforest at perpetual midnight 
a family of deer passed me by. 
i knew in that moment, tonight won't be the night i die.




What's been on my mind lately:

His assistant asked, "How can you tell?"

-Marshall McLuhann, The Medium is the Massage, 68

Sublime. How can we tell? These are the kinds of questions that are suitable to this day and age. We have moved past antiquated inquiries into an age of true questions that dangle from the very end of what is real. Speaking of antiquity,

Alain has written to me that he has enrolled officially in the The Society of post-post-post-post-post-post-Modernists. He will be leaving for the temple within the week, and i will purportedly never see him again, nor will anyone else. i assume he would like me to be happy for him, but in my view the The Society of post-post-post-post-post-post-post-post-post-Modernists is stuck a hundred seconds in the past. Alain knows that as well as i do, and perhaps i must contend with the fact that his sensibilities are less than admirable. Rather than writing him back, i sent him an e-mail (short for electronic mail) telling him he's an asshole and to e-mail me back when the The Society of post-post-post-post-post-post-post-post-post-post-post-post-post-Modernists has burned to the ground. 

You will be pleased to know that my most recent meeting with the fiddle master has gone poorly. i have been far too caught up in feeling in every quantum of my flesh the airs of past, present, and future all collapsing into one to give bother to fiddling. i will continue to search for a way to integrate the antiquated art of fiddling with the aesthetical ontologics of our own time, but i am constantly feeling like giving up on that endeavor.

Also, if you see Old Man Hands, please tell him that his pasta bake looks more than ready to be taken out of the oven and it smells kind of rancid.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo,
gave

Comments

  1. Starting @0:50 it feels to me like the visual IS the music! Is it like every 16th note is one/two frame? I've never seen anything like this before. Woooow. Reminds me of stop-motion stuff. Is it actually stop-motion? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the camera movement is so smooth!!

      Delete
    2. i'm glad you enjoyed it! i made the music with Pure Data but it crashes pretty frequently on my shitty computer so i didn't have much patience to plan things out. i actually didn't intend for the music to line up with the visuals but it just happened to work out that way. from 0:50 on it is all stop-motion. It took me four hours to film, and it's a total of 450 still images (15 images every second for thirty seconds).

      Delete
  2. I love all of this! The film is amazing: there's an air of mystery and anxiety to it. I love the stop and go motion of the film itself and really does make me wonder how much of this was cutting of the footage and stop motion animation. Your work is incredible. The blog post too is engaging. I can't tell if there is a story happening or not. I makes me want to know who the people are you mention and what is to come. I noticed a how this project 'Interforest' was foreshadowed in you last post so I'm already rescanning to see if I can figure out where you'll be taking us next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really hard work and an amazing film! I like the word "interforest", but you made a completely different image of forest we norally think of. The music and the light are really cyberpunk, and I feel like you brought me into the forest of internet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome!!! It made me feel uneasy at the beginning because of the sounds but it was impossible to look away. the whole thing is just so cool!!! I really liked the way the music changed and the light motions started in the second half of the video. really amazing work

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment